Monday, April 16, 2012

I Learnededed

Introduction

This class has been quite an experience. From the initial confusion as to what it was really about to the dispersed bits of confusion for grades being assigned, for what most of the time seemed like, arbitrarily. Overall I feel like I learned a good amount. It has not been Econ 110, the largest amount of learning I have had in one class, nor has it been Spanish 321 (RM Spanish), absolutely no learning. I feel like the greatest thing I have developed from this class is the ability to use the internet in a better way. Honestly, I have not changed what I use on the internet, except adding and using Google+ and actually writing in my blog, but I have changed how I use the internet.

Through this class I have developed the ability to use the internet to learn, connect with people, and share my ideas. I also learned through my class blog that people want to read what is trendy. My most popular blog post was KONY 2012 because I wrote it right as the Kony video went viral. This is interesting because I also learned through my assigned book, The Information Diet, that journalism is changing from being informative to telling people what they want to hear, which I think is very bad.

Nonetheless, I digress. I have really enjoyed this course and feel like I have reached a great level of aptitude on all the learning outcomes.

Here are the highlights of my learning under the learning outcomes sections:

History
Core Concepts
Digital Literacy

Consume 
Create (eBook Content)
Connect
Self-Directed Learning

This course has changed how I read things. I have been reading the NY Times daily for years but this class made me think more about the articles and apply them to my life and to aspects of the world around me. It also helped reignite my love of reading. Not being forced to read a whole book helped me remember that I used to, pre-high school, read for fun all the time. Now I am reading things “for fun” that relate to my research and other areas and it is awesome.

I also feel like this class helped me develop my creativity. I have become much more apt at expressing myself creatively; whether through writing, talking, or even playing music. I have been playing violin and viola, in total, since I was 5 ½, almost exactly 20 years. I don’t like to be a show-off but I do enjoy the opportunity to share my talents. I really appreciated the opportunities this class has given me to do so.


I also feel like my blog has helped me organize my thoughts and opinions to clearly define who I am. I realize this sounds sort of deep but it is true. These two posts, Oxymoron: Religious and Liberal and Religious and Liberal: Self-Promoting. helped me put in words who I am and what and how I think. The scary thing is that it was not easy to do, but upon completing it I felt a sense of accomplishment. They are not perfect and could still use some work but they are me.

Collaboration

As for collaboration, before this class I had 13 Google docs. Now I have 31 docs in my Documents. I really enjoyed working with my first two groups. They were awesome. I learned so much, everything turned out well, and pretty much everyone contributed.

This last group had some more bumps, but we still did a good job. Evidence being that we were used as the good example for the class most of the time.


In writing "The Arts" chapter I was able to collaborate with people outside of my group as well. I was able to get feedback from a music professor that I had a class from last semester. I also received feedback from my friends and family members on my blog throughout the whole semester.

Conclusion

I am very happy I took this class. I feel like it helped me learn and grow better than any other Civ II class would have. I am excited about continuing to apply the principles learned here to my life as well as continuing to share my ideas with others. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my blog going or start a new one but either way I will be blogging, getting my ideas out there, hopefully influencing how people think, and learning for myself in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment