Thursday, March 8, 2012

KONY 2012

Yes, I am jumping on the KONY 2012 train.

If you haven't seen the video here it is:


The video is kinda long so I'll summarize it if you don't feel like watching it. Central Africa has a bunch of problems. One of them is that this guy named Joseph Kony kidnaps kids and makes the boys be soldiers and the girls be sex slaves in his army called the LRA. Also the movie maker's kid is pretty cute.

This isn't a new thing though. 

I already pretty much knew about all this before, at least everything except for the fact that the guy had a cute kid.

We all here about the crazy stuff that goes on in Africa from Muslims and Christians killing each other in Nigeria to Ethiopians killing Eritreans. Nobody is making, what one critic called, MTV-like videos about these issues.

I will admit I did not know Joseph Kony's name before today but I did know about the issue.

The child armies might be new to some people but Lupe Fiasco in his 2007 album, Lupe Fiasco's The Cool, has a song called Little Weapon.

This song talks about different kids who commit violent acts all the way from Africa to elementary schools here in the USA. Here are the lyrics to the verse about the boy soldier:

I killed another man today,
Shot him in his back as he ran away,
Then I blew up his hut with a hand grenade,
Cut his wife's throat as she put her hands to pray,
Just five more dawgs then we can get a soccer ball,
That's what my commander say,
How Old?
Well I'm like ten, eleven, been fighting since I was like six or seven.

Founders of IC with Sudan People's Army
The group that is funding this video is called Invisible Children (IC). Here's a great article that calls them out for all their shortcomings, counter argument. My favorite part of the article is that IC supports other militant groups that are possible just as bad as the LRA. This is a link included that has a picture of the three founders of IC posing with weapons with members of Sudan People's Liberation Army.

This is IC's rebuttle to the criticism. Maybe the picture was just a joke during an unsuccessful peace talk, maybe not. Either way, they are doing some good stuff:

1) Rehabilitation Centers - They try to help the soldiers brainwashed by Kony recover so that they can live normal lives.

2) Warning System - They have a radio system that they funded to help warn villages about the movements of the LRA so that they can avoid falling victim to them.

3) Awareness Campaign - They are trying to make people aware of the issue, They want everyone to know his name so that we can make our government intervene, or continue to intervene.

I have a couple issues with the video though. Okay don't get me wrong, I'm all about helping people. I just don't like my emotions being manipulated.


Solution

So what is the solution?

The KONY 2012 video invites us to

1) Contact our leaders and famous people in order to make them bring an end to the LRA,

2) Buy an "action kit" with some bracelets,

3) Put up posters on 4/20 in order to raise awareness about Kony and his atrocities, and/or

4) Give IC money.

First of all, I'm not giving IC any money. I give money to my Church and my government. My church, because I believe in what they do and their means of helping people around the world. My government, because the IRS sucks.

Second, I don't wear bracelets.

Third, I could put some posters up on 4/20 but I retired from my 4/20 craziness years ago. But who knows. Maybe I'll throw up a couple stickers.

Fourth, I could contact my leaders to make sure they know I care. But they are already doing stuff, Obama Takes on the LRA.

The Truth Will Set Us Free

The IC's awareness campaign has been effective because it got us talking about this issue. But maybe his name isn't that important. Okay, Joseph Kony Joseph Kony Joseph Kony... Nothing changed. And even if he's arrested or killed, will anything really change?

What if your it just changes who's oppressing the people, then what's the point?

That is why the Arab Spring has so much potential, especially the countries that did not use violence in their revolution. They have the opportunity to build democracies where everyone (almost) can be represented in the government.

I realize I'm being a little cynical. And I'm not saying that getting rid of Kony is a bad thing. I just think the problem is deeper than that.

LRA's grasp in Uganda in 2006
I think the best way to make a difference is through education. We need people here and there to be educated.

People there need to be educated and enforcement needs to be in place so that once Kony is taken down, another does not step up in his place.

LRA's shift in geographical power out of Uganda in 2007
We need to talk about stuff. Get everything out in the open. Which this video is making happen. This is a real issue that has some serious consequences and must be stopped. But we must be sure we're armed with the facts. I've changed this post a bit because I was misinformed on some parts. We must adapt.

One critic, who was an intern with IC years ago, says he's worried that the people who are watching this video are misunderstanding it because the facts are buried in 30 minutes of emotion manipulation. For example, they stress Uganda but only mention in passing that the LRA has been out of Uganda since 2006. His article is a very good critique.

What Else?

Ok we've learned we need to talk about stuff. There are plenty of other horrible things going on in the world that we are not talking about.

What else needs talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment