Friday, February 3, 2012

Can't Catch Me

Lots of people and police departments have started using these little GPS's to track the cars of spouses, teenagers, grandparents, and suspects. It seems like a  definite intrusion of privacy.

But is it all bad?

I read about someone that used it to find their elderly parent who got lost driving in New Jersey.  Another guy was able to find out his wife was being unfaithful and gained an advantage in their divorce case. Cops have also used them to catch bad guys.

But the supreme court ruled against a police department in United States vs. Jones saying it was a violation of the 4th amendment.  Here is a NY Times article on the subject.

 In the GPS Case Issues of Privacy and Technology

I'm glad they ruled against the police officers.   I personally don't like the idea of somebody tracking my every move.  But the court's ruling doesn't stop somebody from throwing a GPS on my car.  

I'm okay with Open Science and Open Source software but I'm not okay with Open Phil Locating.


No comments:

Post a Comment